All Content, Images, 'Look and Feel' © 1999-2010 TheMagickSprite
Each plant, animal, rock, and other entity
has a spirit (consciousness resonance matrix). These spirits can join together,
in a hive-mind, as a spirit of an area. Nature spirits include real biological
intelligences, are psychically powerful, and are much less abstract and
controllable than the Elementals that many magical people who perform all
of their rituals indoors are familiar with. They can be extremely powerful
allies. It is possible to sense nature spirits, to determine if they are
receptive to a ritual planned, and to have them actively participate in
magical workings if they are.
SOME EFFECTS OF WORKING WITH NATURE SPIRITS:
Spectacular physical manifestations can happen
when working with nature spirits in the wild. I have personally seen actual
foxfire mark the boundaries of a magic circle at a location that was identified
as a receptive power spot and attuned to a planned ritual the day before.
I have seen more than one site attuned for ritual be dry and comfortable,
with a round hole in the clouds overhead, on days that were cold and rainy
at other nearby locations. Birds have joined in rituals, flying around
the circle when energy was being raised; and insects, birds and animals
have joined in chants. In addition, the wind often responds to invocations.
Generally, these spectacular manifestations happen unexpectedly.
With or without such manifestations, nature
spirits often will channel tremendous amounts of power into the magic being
performed. It is suggested that you do not consciously try for specific
manifestations. Let Nature channel her power into the magic in her own
way. If approached with respect, nature may give you many pleasant surprises.
Spectacular physical manifestations are not
a necessary sign of success. If you need a spectacular manifestation and
nature spirits know this, you will get it. The best success in magic is
on the inner planes and more subtle than such manifestations. This success
involves beneficial changes in consciousness that last and helpful chains
of synchronicity. In addition, working with Nature Spirits can also bring
a deep sense of partnership with Nature, and bring new levels of attunement.
To get the best results, perform nature spirit
attunement several hours to several days before the main ritual. The purposes
of such attunement are to find suitable power spots and to get the help
of friendly nature spirits. This timing gives Nature time to gather her
children and to prepare to actively participate in the main ritual.
WHAT TO NOT DO:
If nature spirits are approached with disrespect
by attempting to command them rather than listening to them and inviting
them to work with you, nature spirits may flee, rebel, or attack. I once
attended a ritual by some pseudo-Crowleyites who attempted to perform the
"Ritual of the Barbarous Names" at a power spot in a forest and then to
extend the circle several hundred yards in all directions.
While the forest in general had loud insect
and frog noises, the area at which the ritual took place got quiet immediately
when the main ritualist declared that all spirits were subject unto him.
The vibes from nature could best be characterized as "Oh yea, Mother...!"
One participant was quickly possessed by an angry spirit and kept repeating
"You killed my children, your children will never live in peace." When
the priestess stepped out of the boundaries of the original circle, she
was attacked by bees; and bees covered the Book of the Law. Magicians should
know better than to attempt to command spirits whose true names they do
CALLING NATURE SPIRITS:
To make the most out of working magical ritual
in the wild, one should find power spots where nature spirits are receptive
to the ritual planned and approach the spirits with respect, as equals.
In my experience, the most effective power spots for working with the living
intelligences of nature are located in wild areas with diverse, active
When entering a wild area to find a site for
a ritual, find a place that feels good. Then do the following, either individually
or, if in a group, as a guided meditation:
o Relax, while standing
upright, and focus on your breathing. Breathe deep breaths from the diaphragm.
Breathe together if in a group.
o Feel yourself as:
- Feel the wind, and let it relax you and awaken your spirit within, as
your deep breathing takes you into non-ordinary reality.
- Picture, in your mind's eye, a light inside you. As you breathe, feel
the light expand, purify and energize you as it expands to fill your aura.
- Feel yourself glowing, balanced, purified, and full of power.
- Connect with your inner self (your higher self), and feel your intuitive
o Focus on your spiritual self, and:
- The wind, full of life and intelligence, communicating with all round.
- The Sunlight, warm, alive, channeling the power to communicate with nature
and energizing all around.
- Water, emotional, intuitive, refreshing, and connected with nature.
- The Earth, and note how your physical body is able to wander while remaining
part of Mother Earth.
o Telepathically (by thinking while
channeling the love and light energy) send out signals to nature spirits
to emerge and be aware of your presence.
- Note the light within and feel it as love,
- Expand the light and love beyond the immediate aura of your body to the
- where you will go to find a power spot and contact nature spirits.
o Now go deeper:
- Say why you have come, and invite them to join in sharing, mutual celebration,
and the work you intend.
- Visualize the light and love energy you are channeling extending out
and merging with the light from distant places.
- Feel the power of the Earth flowing up through your body and feet. -
Feel the power from the sky, and channel this power also to further energize
the carrier signal of light and love for communicating with nature.
- Visualize the light expanding and merging.
- Continue to send out telepathic signals.
o When you have found an areas that
seems to be responsive and receptive, begin walking to the area, while
beaming love energy. Extend your aura to the area and sense the energy.
- Close your eyes, sit on the Earth, and feel your connection while you
channel more light and love.
- Continue modulating the light and love with your thoughts
- inviting receptive spirits to join with you and to make themselves known.
- If in a group, someone should start playing a drum at a rate of about
one beat per second; and you should listen to the drum and let the drum
take you deeper.
- Affirm that you are a nature magician, a medicine person, who knows and
communicates with nature. Let this part of yourself emerge to full consciousness.
Let the drum and the connection to your inner self awaken that part of
yourself that naturally communicates with other life forms. Let it awaken
your telepathic senses.
- Continue sending telepathic signals to nature.
- When you feel ready and an inner urge to begin, open your eyes a crack
and look around, while continuing to channel love and light and telepathically
calling for a response.
- You may see light coming from certain areas that are receptive. You may
get other signals, such as a feeling of power or love returning in a certain
direction. Perhaps the type of response to this work will be unexpected;
follow your intuition in interpreting it.
- You may test your connection by communicating (mentally) instructions
for signals for yes/no responses (such as light getting brighter for less
and darker for no) and then mentally ask questions and observe the responses.
ENTERING A POWER SPOT:
Before entering a power spot, ask permission to enter. If the response
is good, enter; if not, locate another more receptive area.
When entering the power spot, look around. Perhaps the responsive
energy will be concentrated around some singularity (a bush, a tree, a
specific branch, a moss covered rock, or other entity that stands out).
Perhaps the energy will be more general. Use your intuition and feedback
from the spirits to guide your actions.
If it feels right, send out a signal that you would like to touch
the singularity (or the ground) for better communication. If the response
is good, approach beaming love energy, and then touch or hug the singularity
(or the ground).
Treat the spirits as you would other Pagans you meet for the first
time - be sensitive, open, and listen.
DEEPENING COMMUNICATION WITH NATURE SPIRITS:
o Now that you have made
contact with spirits that seem receptive, deepen the communication:
o Notice how your branches intertwine
with the branches of energy surrounding you.
- Breathe deep breaths from the diaphragm, and with each breath, feel more
- Now imagine that your spine is the trunk of a tree; and, from its base,
roots extend deep into the Earth. Deep into the rich moist Earth.
- With every breath, feel the roots extending deeper
- Feel the energy deep within the Earth and within the waters of the Earth.
Feel your roots absorbing nourishment from the Earth and from its waters.
- Feel the moist, warm energy rising.
- Feel it bursting up from the Earth and rising up your spine, like sap
rises in a tree.
- Feel the energy rise to your crown chakra (at the top of your head).
- Now imagine that you have branches, branches that sweep up and then bend
down towards the Earth, like the limbs of a willow.
- Feel the branches extending and interweaving with your surroundings.
- Feel the warm, moist energy of the Earth flowing through your branches.
As it flows, feel yourself being purified, centered, and connected to the
- Feel the power from the Earth flowing through your branches and then
down back to the Earth, like a fountain.
- Note how your branches absorb energy from the air. Also, feel them receiving
light (fire) from the sky.
- Feel the energy from above penetrating deep through your body into the
- Feel the warmth of the Earth rising also. - Feel the energy circulating.
o Telepathically mention the time in
the past when nature spirits and people communicated regularly and the
need to establish such communication now.
- Feel the energy dancing among your branches and the branches around you.
- Notice how your roots also intertwine with underground energy channels.
- Feel the energy dancing between your roots and the surrounding energy
- Notice how you and the life around you are rooted in the same Earth,
breathing the same air, receiving the same fire, drinking the same water,
sharing the same underlying essence. You are one with the magical grove.
o Test your connection by asking
questions and observing the responses.
WORKING WITH NATURE SPIRITS:
o Explain to the spirits
the purpose of your coming to them and the nature of the ritual you plan.
o If the spirits you contacted
o Before you leave the power spot:
- Explain to them the details of the ritual and invite them to provide
- Listen, you may receive suggestions on how to improve the ritual. Such
suggestions may come in the form of hunches, visions, answers to yes/no
questions using pre-arranged signals, or in other ways.
- Explain what type of space is needed and ask what the best place to perform
the ritual is.
- You may see light or get other psychic signals leading you to other sites,
or you may be at one of them.
- You may also ask what the best places for other aspects of the planned
work are (picnicking, individual vision quests, etc.).
- If preparation of the site is needed (removing briars, preparing a fire
circle, etc.) ask permission of the spirits before proceeding with such
- Before you leave the power spot, tell the spirits you have contacted
when you plan to return to do the ritual (visualizing the associated lunar
and solar aspects can help with this communication).
- Invite them to join in the ritual when you return and to bring their
- Ask if it would be best to return silently, with drums, with chanting,
or with some other form of approach.
- You can also ask the spirits to provide guidance for working in balance
and to provide a teacher to provide further guidance.
o Leave in peace and love.
- Thank the spirits,
- Channel love energy,
- Trigger your memory of the experience, and
- If it feels right, leave an offering of tobacco, or beer and honey poured
on the ground (or other suitable material).
o Proceed to other sites that were
indicated by the spirits, doing similar meditations at each site.
o If you need something, like a
staff, a Maypole, or a wand, you can also ask where you can find it and
follow the guidance you receive (not slavishly, but as you would guidance
from another Pagan).
o Before leaving the general area
in which you found power spots and contacted nature spirits:
o Naturally, you should leave the area
at least as clean, and preferably cleaner, than you found it.
- Channel love energy towards the receptive sites you found,
- Thank the spirits of the land,
- Pull back your roots and branches,
- Ground any excess energy into the Earth (placing your hands on the Earth,
breathe in any excess energy, and channel the energy down your arms, while
visualizing and feeling the energy going into the Earth), and
- Leave in peace and love.
o If you work with techniques of
Wicca or Ceremonial Magic, you may find that by casting a circle, calling
the Elements, the Goddess, the Gods, and the local nature spirits while
you are at receptive sites, you may be able to greatly increase communication.
o Through the use of drums and
other power raising techniques, it is even possible to energize receptive
nature spirits. The results can be very interesting. If with a coven, such
circles can be done as part of a group attunement to a power spot you have
o If you do not get good feelings
in response to your explanation of the ritual and are unable to come up
with a ritual that gives good responses, do not try to force a good response.
You would only be fooling yourself.
o If it is hard to find a site that
is really receptive, you should: - Consider any impressions you got of
why the nature spirits weren't receptive in the area you were in, and re-think
your plans for a ritual, as necessary and appropriate. - It may also be
appropriate to look for another general area in which to find a suitable
power site that is receptive to the work planned.
- Thank the spirits for their attention.
- Ask them why they are not receptive (if it feels right and they are communicative).
- Trigger your memory.
- Pull back your "roots and branches," return any excess energy you feel
into the Earth.
- If it feels appropriate, leave an offering of tobacco or other appropriate
material, out of respect for the spirits.
- Move to a more receptive site.
WHAT TO DO WHEN RETURNING:
It can be very powerful to purify and center
yourself and to attune to the spirits of the land using the techniques
previously described for calling nature spirits immediately upon returning
to the site.
Often, individuals may have found small specific
power spots to which they have a special attunement, where the spirits
are interested in participating; but where the site is too small, has too
much vegetation, or is otherwise unsuitable for the main ritual. Individual
attunement to the spirits in such areas and inviting them to participate
in the main ritual can be worthwhile.
Then approach the main ritual site using the
previously arranged technique. You should have the details worked out with
the spirits of the land. An exceptionally powerful technique involves doing
a procession through or past receptive power spots, inviting nature spirits
to join as you pass each power spot, and then moving to the central power
spot for the main ritual. If participants are at individual power spots,
they can join the procession as it passes nearby.
When consecrating space in the wild, or casting
a circle, do not set up the perimeter as a barrier to all outside forces;
it should be a beacon to attract friendly nature spirits, a container for
holding magical power, and a barrier to spirits who it isn't right to be
One thing that is fun and worthwhile in nature
is to bring instruments, such as a rattle, a flute and/or a drum, to tune
in to nature's sounds, and to make music in time to nature's sounds. You
may be able to get some very interesting back and forth exchanges of music
going with selected creatures of the wild, and get into an amazing jam
After the work is complete, be sure to thank
the spirits for their participation. Libations and other offerings may
also be left for the spirits during and/or after the ritual.
There are other ways of working with nature
spirits. This is one approach. The author thanks Selena Fox for teaching
the basic guided meditation technique for locating and contacting nature
spirits at a tranceworking session sponsored by the Chameleon Club (part
of the Association for Consciousness Exploration) in 1981, Vicky Smith
for editorial review of this article, Isaac Bonewitz for the outline of
the expanded tree meditation, and Carlos Castenada, Black Eagle, Pasha,
the Goddess, the Gods, and various nature spirits for teaching the rest
of the good methods. Most of this article is an expansion of an article
by the author titled "Finding a Sacred Grove for Druid Initiation" by Larry
Cornett, published in The Druid's Progress and in Amaranth Anthology.
By Larry Cornett